[CBQ] Switch list

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Switch list
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 12:57:20 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
While I haven’t dug deep enough to find my blank Q switch list here is a photo
of one from an article I wrote in 2016 for Friends of the BNSF’s Expeditor.
This is exactly what I was trying to describe in words. As always a picture is
worth a thousand words.
This example is from switching operations at West Chicago,Illinois by one of
the “mail” road switchers for staging tracks for input into General Mills from
the yard adjacent. Barely visible at the top is the notation cars are in
denoted as being on yard one and listed east to west. Unfortunately the bottom
and top are cutoff so we still don’t have a form number. Since the destinations
of the cars are listed as “E” and “W” I can verify this is Q activity because
by sometime around 1964 or 1967 General Mills added to the warehouse and then
building tracks were numbered one through four. I can’t say for sure but I
would bet the writing is by Russ”Rip” Repetto of story telling fame.

Oh and as further info. We were still using switch lists at West Chicago into
the late 1970s. It’s the last location I remember them being used. Every where
else Compass, the computer car inventory system would provide a pre-printed
form with a list of the track and cars in it. All one did from there is write
where you wanted the car to go to. The agent or operator would have written the
destination of each car in the column. But there were very few numbered tracks
at Rochelle. Every one had a name. As the new man in the job I had to quickly
learn what CN,115,199,Swift,new city, standard and many more meant.
When I worked the Rochelle night job in the 1970’s it was routine to be handed
6-8 pages when we went to work and then 4 or 5 more as we progressed through
the 12 hours of just about non stop movement. That entire story will be a
future article.

As an aside if you are interested in knowing what really went on behind the
scenes in working the suburban trains(dinkies). I just turned in a lengthy
article to Friends of the BN. At first cut it looks to be a two issue article
next year.

Leo Phillipp