Re: [CBQ] Switch list

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Switch list
From: "jpslhedgpeth via groups.io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2021 15:59:20 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Having NEVER worked as a REAR BRAKEMAN I'm not familiar with lots of the "Caboose Paperwork"...So'll IL need a bit of clailification here and there.  I'm not sure whether the conductor was given a "train list along with the waybils in train order at the outbound terminal or whether he just "assumed" that the "bills" were in "train order"...The top (first entry" was always the rear end of the train so that anyting picked up and/or set out would not require the "whole thing" to be redone every time a pickup or set out was made.

Leo it would be nice if you would give us a detailed list of all the paperwork that the conductor was given at the Originating station..Of course there was always the train orders and clearance, and any messages regarding special handling of any intermediate work to be done  ie "car of stock to be set out at  abcd  etc.

I'm not sure whether  the conductor got a "train list" along with the bills or whether he just assumed that the bills were in train order.   Could you favor us with a shall we say "compendium" outlining all of the "paperwork" the conductor would come out of the outbound yard office with.
Then, as you have outlined the Conductor would make out the "Wheel Report" with info as you described.

Then someplace along the line the conductor would "throw off a "Consist" ie list in train order of all the cars in his train and their destination.  That list would be thrown off at a station with an Operator on Duty and said OP would  "SEND" via telegraph the "consist" to the yard office at the trains next division point.  From this info the "receiving" yardmaster and anyone else "who cared or needed" would make arrangements for handling, and/or switching at that point.  This was a matter of "VITAL IMPORTANCE" at yards and stations where deliveries and/or connections with outbound trains were made in order that the receiving yard master would have his plan for handling "all set" in advance for "fast and expeditious" action.

Leo as a "Promoted man" could you give us...not so knowledgable folks a rundown of what went on in the waycar in addition to watching for hot boxes, dragging equipment, train order signals etc.

This "ongoing" waycar activity I have to admit is not something I know much about in detail.

Pete