Re: [CBQ] CBQ Parlor Diner #s 307-308

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CBQ Parlor Diner #s 307-308
From: "Tom Schneid bnsf739@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jul 2016 09:31:15 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1467556276; bh=oCPN5sbCuK/k4wPD541vvIL6jd0Ec/ESgWbEUdbjlGk=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Oey5Ak8agpFTMcBm6z4gPRvf0O3j9re5LnezBkb9V4ls83/cz+uiiWd8F3K169lvmgACvGcYpngPIwwMyj6APnFTfkgeqEh9llCJop/PjHysP4sWTEdJSmbDk2hyX+V1MhGCxG1D8ZTibDx3Otfjjca1uctZzNPKIh0EKkAvcVA=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

307/8 and 325/6 were initially used and dining/parlor cars.....they saw service on a variety of secondary trains that offered  dining service and parlor car accommodations.  Some that come to mind during the fifties - Coloradoan, #19/6 (when the Budd LW dining/parlor/obs were elsewhere), St.Louis/KC/Omaha trains, #2/15 (Chicago-Hannibal service), subbing  on the overnight Zephyrs (Black Hawk, Ak-Sar-Ben, American Royal), Zephyr-Rocket.  And others.....
Very versatile cars.  325/6 are cars with older-style rectangular windows with sashes.  307/8 were fitted with sealed thermopane windows when rebuilt in the early fifties.  All 4 ended up in aluminum paint....325/6 were shadowlined....not sure about 307/8 - always saw them in all aluminum.  325/6 were old enough to be in Pullman green pre-1952 or so.
  In time, the parlor seats were used as lounge seats to accommodate late night patrons seeking a beverage.  Cars were arranged  as follows.....kitchen/dining area/lavatory(2)/parlor (lounge)/vestibule.
Both types of cars are available from NKP Car (kits).  Very unique and very "Burlington"......ribbed clerestory roof with lots of vents, 6-wheel trucks, Trane a/c, "solarium-type" car end, etc.

Tom Schneid

P.S. NKP Car Co has a large number of accurate CB&Q HW car kits - see nkpcarco.com

Sent from my iPad