Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 12:12:37 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tom-
Most of the grime in cities was the result of all the coal fired boilers and other commercial and residential users of coal.   The Chicago Smoke Abatement studies give the contribution from various sources.
  There was a time when Chicago attracted and supported intense industry (in every meaning of the word).  No longer.
Charlie Vlk

On Nov 27, 2020, at 9:42 AM, Tom Hammer <hammermann1911@outlook.com> wrote:

Zephyr # 80 BRHS 40 TH Anniversary issue.
On pate 8 lower left has a picture of 547 West Jackson Boulevard.  (Not Street)
I don't think it mentioned that this was the CB&Q General Office Building.  Just West of Union Station.
I worked there several years in the early 60'ies as a tracer of lost revenue.
At that time the building was not the Beautiful white beauty ii is now all cleaned up.
We all love Steam but it was sooty.  I never dreamed how wonderful this building was.
This is a super picture I will copy and print one to hang on my wall..  Thanks Greg Koon.  You made my day...
Tom Hammer
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60866) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_