Re: [CBQ] Re: Train 61 Galesburg to Hannibal 1966 Wheel Report

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Train 61 Galesburg to Hannibal 1966 Wheel Report
From: "archie hayden klinerarch@charter.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2014 10:39:07 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1404315548; bh=UlstYbBfSYSdw4mMrtQ8BIJJxkmNJ1Rl5P8SxrxX+YQ=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Authority-Analysis:Message-Id:To:In-Reply-To:X-Priority:References:X-Mailer:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=ZK9HhCBj6XbRAVrjmO/3n+Zv+bdK8D7axLyjnZrvRzY5PJWS9UnTy/7KqlThqWjpeizNv2n+LEfKYr3t2T5XoXsG57B91kikthXWy46Cx/o569EzStcFNVLLV45Xu9Icdet35gt/za1Ayb3Whd5BkwlRQigUXWlkL9mmphBdTRU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Al and Ron,  I remember picking up those terrible smelling box cars off the house track across from the depot.  Almost turned your stomach.  There was a rendering plant a few miles south of Galesburg that smelled almost as bad.  I would hold my breath as long as possible as we went by.  Then there was the wonderful aroma of the distillery in Peoria.  Smelled like burnt corn.  Coming out of a side track covered in weeds and grass with the wheel slip combined to treat your olfactory senses as well.  Archie

A guy never wanted to leave his windows open while working around there.  The flies were unimaginable!  Always wet there too.
From: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2014 12:01:53 -0500

Rick to answer Question #1) blood shipped in boxcars would be dried blood. It would be dried at the slaughter house. Whole blood is rather corrosive and thus was typically shipped in glass lined tankcars. Dried blood had value, commonly used as a feed additive or as fertilizer, and for blood meal.

Doug Harding

www.iowacentralrr.org

Posted by: archie hayden <klinerarch@charter.net>