Re: [CBQ] Burlington Truck Lines Help Request

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Burlington Truck Lines Help Request
From: "Jim Goodin jbgoodin225@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Jul 2014 22:00:15 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1404961219; bh=3an+38TtREV6OR9QfUrn6S9/ukHEFZszuG/XLUIugB0=; h=Received:Received:X-Yahoo-Newman-Id:X-Sender:X-Apparently-To:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:X-Received:References:X-Mailer:In-Reply-To:Message-Id:To:X-Originating-IP:X-eGroups-Msg-Info:X-Original-From:From:X-Yahoo-Profile:Sender:MIME-Version:Mailing-List:Delivered-To:List-Id:Precedence:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:X-Yahoo-Newman-Property:Content-Type; b=o5iaRs1cSC41MQTg3AWE51vx3KMBYmIkdlQfObXTZ1oF9RbkYFkf5n3zRghgV3+N821rhg65bOQjPcr6nGbA9Q/7NqRjYn1hikTnkAryWlT3C9Jzxe8cG9URxHE2csmA3Nsz30NTVlUGrauxmk8TcEFmdIh0QYBk0ivGmrjlAVg=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Bill,

Thanks for the note about the REA.  Looking at the notes on the ORER I see maintenance billing goes to REA.

I also noted that the BMRZ maintenance billing goes to VA.  Considering Q & BTL offices were in the Midwest, were these trailers leased?

BTW I didn't received the Kirksville trailer photo attachment.  Could you resend?

Jim

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2014, at 8:26 PM, "Bill Hirt whirt@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Jim,

I failed to answer the question about RQZZ. These were trailers leased from REA to the CB&Q. I've attached the October 1968 Burlington Trailer page which outlines this. REA leased trailers to a number of railroads.

Have you also looked at the Richard Overton's Burlington Route book? He has a couple of paragraphs on Burlington Truck Lines. There is also a picture of a TTX flat with Burlington containers carrying Hawaiian pineapples.

Bill Hirt

On 7/9/2014 4:39 PM, Jim Goodin jbgoodin225@gmail.com [CBQ] wrote:
Hi Bill,

Thanks for that info.  Given what I have seen, the CBQZ would cover dry vans, the BMRZ would cover refrigerated trailers and the CBQU would cover containers.  I am not sure about the RQZZ designation though.  Might be a container chassis?

Anything with a Z is typically a trailer while U classifies a container.  Interestingly it still applies to equipment today.  I am not sure what year the Z and U designations began.  My guess would be early 60's.  Most 1950's and earlier photo show 3 or 4 digit trailer numbers without any letters.

Jim

Sent from my iPad

On Jul 9, 2014, at 11:33 AM, "Bill Hirt whirt@sbcglobal.net [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

Rupert,

I am not sure the listing in the ORER shows all, most or even any of the
equipment assigned that was owned/leased by Burlington Truck Lines. In
working on the wheel reports of the 1960s, there are distinct reporting
marks. CBQZ, BRMZ, CBQU, and RQZZ with it's roster of equipment are
shown in the ORER. BTL equipment I've found is not shown in the ORER. I
also have access to the Ownership of Equipment books and they do not
show the BTL reporting mark trailers/flatbeds.

Bill Hirt

On 7/8/2014 10:09 PM, 'Rupert & Maureen' gamlenz@ihug.co.nz [CBQ] wrote:
> Jim
>
> Attached is a list of magazine references relating to BTL. Let me know if
> you want copies of anything. Also I can send you scans of -
> four page article from Railway Age August 1937 entitled "Burlington Trucks
> Make their Schedules Safely",
> July 1964 and July 1968 ORER pages for BTL
> 1940 diagrammatic map of BT truck operations
> Model Railroading February 1988 photos of trailers
> Series of articles from Burlington Bulletin 1966-8
> 1968 Ownership, Age & Condition report
>
> I also have some material from Don Halffield.
>
> Regards
>
> Rupert

<October 1968 ORER Burlington Trailers and Containers.pdf>

Posted by: Jim Goodin <jbgoodin225@gmail.com>