Re: [CBQ] Highlands Depot

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Highlands Depot
From: "Michael Matalis" <mmatalis@sprynet.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2020 13:55:25 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I wouldn’t be too reliant on any plans on file with the various villages. A couple of years ago a platform replacement project at Main St in Downers Grove came to a long halt when they found that the plans that had been provided didn’t match reality.

Thank you kindly,

Michael Matalis
Downers Grove IL

See my life laid out before you on LinkedIn!
You can see my photos and my ugly mug at http://www.flickr.com/photos/prairierailfan/sets/
And you can now find me and my fine felines on Facebook!

On Nov 25, 2020, at 12:59 PM, Richard Townsend via groups.io <richtownsend=netscape.net@groups.io> wrote:

I doubt there was  a requirement for building permits back in 1904, but maybe there was. I suggest also asking about any post-construction permits such as for renovations or remodeling, electrical or plumbing, “change of use”, etc. also check the tax assessor records for that address.
On Nov 25, 2020, at 10:49 AM, Charlie Vlk <cvlk@comcast.net> wrote:

Mike and George
As part of my research into the Aurora-Chicago Q history I am interested in all of the East End structures.
The history of the stops on the line is not well documented as to when they were established and the succession of depots (West Lyons/Stone Avenue for example).
I have pieced together some places (often finding info that the local HS do not know about!) but some (like Douglas Park) I’ve not been able to find much.  There are about a half dozen stops that most have never heard of that came to light as well.
Recently through the ICC Valuation disk from the BRHS Archives a build date of 1904 surfaced for the Highlands depot.
Ken started drawing it up and the Q drawing is poor (likely all generated from the same photostat that I got from the Building and Bridges Department “back in the day”).
I am interested in drawing it up in 3D and have good photos to reproduce the stone and brick accurately.
It occurred to me that Hinsdale might have information on it from the permit process...maybe even a copy of the construction documents or at least confirmation of the build date and architect.
George, if you could make a call being a village taxpayer to see if the building department have anything in their archives it might add to the historical record.  I will be glad to cover any reproduction and mailing costs.
I intend to give a copy of my digital book to the local historical societies and libraries along the line as well as the BRHS...it is a non-commercial project.
Charlie Vlk
On Nov 25, 2020, at 10:17 AM, William Barber <clipperw@gmail.com> wrote:

Ken,

If Mike Dunning is able to help you, BRHS member George Kanary lives right next door to the Highlands depot and might be able to assist. I have one of the Magnuson kits, but I don’t know if the instructions include the dimensions. I could make some measurement, however, if you can tell what you need.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60846) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_