Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 547 West Jackson Boulevard
From: "Douglas Hosler" <dehosler40@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2020 10:42:24 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I found his track work much too simple and too easy to duplicate. Couldn’t he make the cross-over/turnout combinations MORE complex? I am sure there must be a way to do that.  Okay this guy is a damned show off!   Canadians….Lord have mercy on us.

I can’t think of the name of the cars that are deliberately placed between the engine and the cars that are going onto the float or coming off of it - the cars that prevent the engine from getting on the float.  “A reach”? “A handle”?  There is also the issue of engine weight on the apron or connecting bridge that pivots up and down to reach the float.

Here’s a nicely time condensed video of unloading and loading of a car float

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWTXrpgYO4Y     It is “The New York Jersey Rail Car Float Operation from NYC to New Jersey

Seriously what could be more better than that? Car floats are being used less and less.  The twin switchers use a two-gondola “reach” or “handle” or whatever it is called.

On Nov 27, 2016, at 9:42 AM, Tom Hammer <hammermann1911@outlook.com> wrote:

Zephyr # 80 BRHS 40 TH Anniversary issue.
On pate 8 lower left has a picture of 547 West Jackson Boulevard.  (Not Street)
I don't think it mentioned that this was the CB&Q General Office Building.  Just West of Union Station.
I worked there several years in the early 60'ies as a tracer of lost revenue.
At that time the building was not the Beautiful white beauty ii is now all cleaned up.
We all love Steam but it was sooty.  I never dreamed how wonderful this building was.
This is a super picture I will copy and print one to hang on my wall..  Thanks Greg Koon.  You made my day...
Tom Hammer

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60864) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_