Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Eastbound Coal Trains Through Savanna
From: "Fred Crissey" <fhc925@frontier.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2020 02:51:52 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tom:
I agree that the train were from Colstrip MT.  IIRC Detroit Edison had some "test burns" of PRB coal at one or two of their Detroit area generating stations which were all rail moves.  Obviously it worked but regular movement was/is by water from Superior WI.  I understand the current volume (11/1/20) is about 15-20 loaded trains per week.
Fred Crissey

On Sunday, November 1, 2020, 02:35:03 PM CST, Michael Woodruff <mwoodruff54@gmail.com> wrote:

No idea Tom, and the more I read about Colstrip, the more I think my guess is probably wrong.  If you believe Wikipedia, it sounds like Colstrip was more or less shut down from 1958 to 1970 or so.  Since the Orin line construction didn't start until 1972, perhaps that train loaded at Wyodak near Gillette, although in that case, you would think the train would have come east via Alliance and Lincoln.  Not sure if Kleenburn (on the Big Horn sub west of Sheridan) was still active then or not.  And I don't know when the Dutch sub to the Tongue River/Decker area mines was built, although I'm pretty sure it was much later.  Also not sure if there were any coal mines located on the Great Northern in Montana that were producing at that time.  There were several in the Great Falls area, although I think they were active much earlier.

msw
az

On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 12:18 PM Tom Mack via groups.io <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
On Sun, Nov 1, 2020 at 12:38 PM, Michael Woodruff wrote:
Colstrip, MT on the NP would be my guess as to where that train was loaded.
Any idea, Michael, when that mine started running coal trains from it over the Q?

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60732) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_