Re: [CBQ] Bernie Corbin's Locomotives

To: <CBQ@groups.io>, "'James Sandrin'" <sandmantrains@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Bernie Corbin's Locomotives
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 1 Jan 2019 17:35:58 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

All-

I since my MRs are packed the issue that the railroad was featured I can’t recall the Bohemian spelling of the Funeral home  ….  Her-ray-sha is the phonetic spelling of the funeral home if I recall correctly.

Pomona Valley made the EA/EB units and the Silver Charger.   1936 DZ and General Pershing cars were also available.  E5A/B units were available but it is not clear if Pomona Valley was the source as another builder has been attributed to them.   All were very nice models, especially the E5s which approach later brass models in appearance.  There were some earlier Zephyrs which were made from tin cans and were not as nice, even as a grade schooler

I noticed that….

The railroad had a city which had S gauge trolley tracks with streetcars powered with Miller integral power trucks.  Having had a S2 with those trucks I understand why they never ran while I saw the railroad….the trucks had no gearing (the armature was on the axle and the wheels were the commutators, being divided into four segments) and thus had two speeds….stopped, and supersonic!

There was at least one decent O5 model which may have been a Corbin engine.  I think there was a converted AF MILW 0-6-0 and some other Q prototype engines.   One oddity was a double ended PA painted in Rio Grande Black and Gold.

The lower level that was mentioned reminded me of looking down the platforms at Union Station.   I don’t recall seeing the NCL but vaguely remember an Empire Builder.   I don’t think I ever saw any Chinese Red painted engines but I’ll bet they were on the Burlington Junior before they were on the Q!!!

Charlie Vlk