Re: [CBQ] The Q was planning on going further west

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] The Q was planning on going further west
From: "James Sandrin" <sandmantrains@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 1 May 2023 08:01:35 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Building West: There were several options that Perkins considered and actually had preliminary surveys  done.  The route Rupert mentioned was ultimately used by David Moffat as the route of his Denver, Northwestern and Pacific (usually referred to today as the D&SL). Another was to build west from Central Wyoming over South Pass to the Great Salt Lake area, a route used in part by the US Steel corporation to connect with the Union Pacific north of Rock Springs to deliver Iron ore to Geneva, Utah. The third option as mentioned in Overton's "Burlington Route" was to acquire the bankrupt Oregon Short Line, which would have required a similar line over South Pass to Granger, Wyoming. The final option actually forced the hand of the Northern Pacific to grant trackage and terminal rights to the Q in the Billings area, rather than see the Q build west to the mineral fields of Central Montana, and ultimately beyond to the Columbia River basin.

Great Stuff for speculation.  Jim Sandrin