Re: [CBQ] Photo: CB&Q Livestock Car 58587D

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Photo: CB&Q Livestock Car 58587D
From: "ted schnepf" <railsunlimited2@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2023 12:09:29 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hello Bill and list,
I would like to address the second part of Bills comment, about the CBQ only serving Denver stockyards directly.
I believe in Chicago that Burlington trains would directly deliver their loaded stock cars to the union stockyard.
I know Milwaukee road stock trains did run directly into the Chicago Union stockyards. I would imagine there was some trackage rights arrangement that allowed the trains to directly deliver loaded stock to the yards. I would assume all of the other Chicago railroads could also deliver their stock directly to the yards.
I have dispatcher sheets that show Sunday afternoons with many stock trains coming into Chicago on the Milwaukee road and then with a mainline crew change in bensenville running directly into the Chicago Union stock yards.
While the main line railroads delivered their stock trains directly to the stockyards, the local terminal railroad may have switched the stock cars to the unloading ramps.
I would assume there were other arrangements in places like Sioux City, Omaha and Kansas City stockyards for other direct delivery of stock trains.
Ted
Ted Schnepf
Elgin, Illinois
847-697-5353