Re: [CBQ] Booze on the Burlington

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Booze on the Burlington
From: "Louis Zadnichek via groups.io" <LZadnichek=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2023 14:45:33 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
March 10, 2023

Rupert and Bob - I'll DRINK to all that...... - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II
Fairhope, AL

In a message dated 3/9/2023 11:44:07 PM Central Standard Time, gamlenz@hotmail.com writes:

Bob

I’d love to read the article but I can’t find a readable copy at the moment.  Can anyone help with this? Just in passing, a couple of pieces on the subject.

The officials of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Ry. have made new rules respecting the use of intoxicating liquors which extend to employees in all branches of the service, including the track, bridge and building departments. The general rule is as follows: “The use of intoxicants by employees while on duty is prohibited. The habitual use or frequenting of places where they are sold is sufficient cause for dismissal.” The custom of soliciting fees or subscriptions for any purpose is prohibited and employees are also obliged to pay their debts in observance of the following rule: “An employee subjecting the company to the service of a garnishment of his pay will be liable to dismissal and shall be held responsible for all expenses incurred by the company in connection therewith.” In the book of rules issued by the passenger department suggestions by employees regarding the service are invited. Rule 14 reads: “Suggestions designed to improve the service, to increase business or likely to be of general interest to the officers of the company will be appreciated.”

Railway & Engineering review 1902

I’ll pull out some more and perhaps send them to the Zephyr Editors for a Time Capsule.

Rupert Gamlen
Auckland NZ