Re: [CBQ] GP7s in black and grey with BN #s ?

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] GP7s in black and grey with BN #s ?
From: "Bryan Howell via groups.io" <tubaman21=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2023 12:39:08 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Chris,

I would love to see such a list as well (including repaint dates), but have not yet come across one. To my knowledge, the only Q units renumbered for M-Day were the two E8s used on the Afternoon Zephyr/EB/NCL west out of Union Station at 1PM the afternoon of the merger, those being 9942 (Q 9942A) and 9943 (Q 9943A). There were also five GP38s (2072-2076) that were delivered just prior to the merger that were ordered by the SP&S but arrived in BN paint and numbers and used on the first No. 97 freight train west from Cicero yard. I can't speak for anything GN/NP/SP&S, but the numbering plan was ready in 1968 and was largely unchanged when it was enacted in 1970.

When units were renumbered, there was no particular order to it, just when they arrived at the shop and were renumbered. Renumbering was complete by the winter of 1970, so it only took about 9 months to renumber the combined fleets. It took longer to repaint the fleet as that didn't occur until a major shopping in most cases. What I can tell you is that the last Q Blackbird unit was repainted on September 29, 1976, (NW2 No. BN 559/Q 9406B), the last Redbird unit was repainted on December 29, 1976, (GP9 No. BN 1960/Q 275) and the last pre-merger green unit was repainted on August 27, 1976 (U23C No. BN 5206/Q 466). This data is from the FOBNR, so they may have all the repainting/renumbering dates. I should ask and see what they do have.

Bryan J. Howell
Superior, WI