[CBQ] Rapido E8

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] Rapido E8
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2023 18:50:24 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I received my new Rapido CB&Q E8A 9942A on Sunday. This is an excellent (a friend when he saw it said stunning) model. BRHS folks Dave Lotz and Bryan Howell are acknowledged in the accompanying manual for the unit and did great job getting us a fantastic Q E unit.

Fellow BRHS member Rich Gortowski was here visiting and was happy to run the unit around my layout to help break it in.

The sound on the unit is very good. One setting change is that the Gyrolight/Mars light is on Function 14 on the DCC setting. I moved it to F6 which Rapido has defaulted to Ditch Lights (this is also in the default ESU E8 sound file). The sound is recorded from an actual E8, so you can not do much better than that.

Another plus was the sound level out of the box was such I did not need to change it. Most new sound units have the volume so loud that it screams for adjustment.

A few minor repairs were needed when it came out of the box. The front coupler did not make the trip very well and needed replacement. One of the bearing caps on the front truck on the engineer's side needed to placed back on. And the steam generator hatch needed to be properly seated on the top side on the rear of the unit. Nothing out of the ordinary.

I very happy with my purchase.

I've attached an image of it idling on my layout.

Bill Hirt