Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr Cars on Twin Cities Zephyr and Gallery Cars

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr Cars on Twin Cities Zephyr and Gallery Cars to Minneapolis / St. Paul
From: "Bill Schultz via groups.io" <jwschultz9=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 18 Oct 2022 16:24:14 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tom --

In no particular order:

Three dome coaches were assigned to each of the six CZ consists.  By the mid-'60s, the third Chicago-Oakland dome coach was cut back to operate Chicago-Grand Jct. during the so-called off season (mid-September to mid-December; first week of January through May).  This freed-up two CZ domes, with the spare cars kept in Chicago.  If the Q chose to use an idled Rio Grande or WP car in other than CZ service, it paid the owner the established per diem rate for the use of the car, so a D&RGW or WP dome coach in a Twin Zephyr consist didn't constitute some nefarious cloak-and-dagger act and was a not-infrequent occurrence during the off-season months.  As to whether or not there was a protocol for selecting specific car(s) to be withheld from service I cannot say, but suspect it was based on mileage equalization between the CZ triumvirate and that cars were rotated in-and-out of "spare" status.

The November 6, 1965 Aurora-Lee rescue train consisted of a pair of E8/9s, a suburban-service generator coach, and two gallery cars.  Upon the train's return to Aurora, the passengers were fed at a local restaurant and boarded that evening's westbound Black Hawk (to which sufficient additional intercity [non-suburban service] cars were added).  There would have been no advantage (and substantial cost) to running an Aurora-St. Paul extra (with or without suburban equipment) three or four hours in advance of the Black Hawk only to have its passengers wait that amount of time in St. Paul before continuing west on the Western Star.

As to what equipment was used for No. 22 on Sunday November 7, the Q didn't maintain a passenger-car reserve in Minneapolis (i.e., no spare diner or parlor car), so whatever was needed was likely furnished by GN and/or NP, a practice predating the Twin Zephyrs.  In that era, No. 22 regularly received a flat-top coach from both the Builder and North Coast at St. Paul, so whatever (else) was needed amounted to an additional coach or two and some type of restaurant car powered by one of the four motors normally assigned to consolidated Nos. 26-32.  On that day, the parlor car was probably blanked.

As to earlier questions regarding the use of gallery cars in other than suburban service, they were used sparingly both before and following certain holidays (the Wednesday preceding and Sunday following Thanksgiving, Easter weekend, immediately following New Years Day) and primarily for (college) student traffic.  The earliest example I'm aware of was the November 1962 operation of a second section of the westbound Afternoon Zephyr, a so-called "stub 23" running Chicago-North La Crosse with an E7, generator coach, two gallery cars, and heavyweight diner-lounge.  During the 43-day airline machinist's strike in 1966, Twins 22 and 23 frequently included one or two gallery cars and a generator coach entrained behind the blunt-end dome-parlor car.  The most frequent appearance of gallery cars on the C&I (and beyond) was their use (beginning in 1965 and continuing through 1967) in conjunction with Burlington one-day escorted tours (generally from April through October) from Chicago to East Dubuque or Prairie du Chien.  Hung on the rear-end of Nos. 21 and 24, the cars were set-out at North La Crosse (to avoid individual car in-and-out charges at St. Paul Union Depot), wyed, and added to that afternoon's No. 24.  One to two gallery cars and a generator coach was typical.  Saturday round-trips from suburban territory to- and from White Pines State Park (for scouts) was another frequent occurrence during the clement weather months.  Examples from Saturday September 30, 1967: No. 21 departing Chicago - motors (numbers not recorded), NP 200-series lightweight baggage car (express St. Paul; number not recorded), Chicago-Minneapolis: Silver Treasure, Silver Terrace, Silver Stream, Q 4650; Chicago-St. Paul: Silver Feast, Silver Glade; Chicago-North La Crosse: 714, 774, generator coach (number not recorded).  That same day, a Cicero-White Pines Scout Special ran with four gallery cars and a generator coach (numbers not recorded).

Bill Schultz