Re: [CBQ] Gallery cars

To: <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Gallery cars
From: "Charlie Vlk" <cvlk@comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 7 Oct 2022 13:44:10 -0500
Cc: "'GLEN'" <glenehaug@msn.com>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Larry

The spur that at one time stub-ended almost at Prairie Avenue once had a freight house on it.  It wasn’t a big structure, wood and was gone by the 1960s.

There was an elevated Signal Block Cabin at the foot of Park Avenue and the siding probably passed in back of it to avoid the signal rods.   An earlier freight station was east of the Block Tower.

I don’t remember the large building; the one I recall was closer to Prairie Avenue and was smaller and narrower, more like a double handcar shed.

If anyone has photos of it I sure would like a scan of them!

The attached is the only photo I know of of the Block Tower and freight house.  East of Maple Avenue Speidel had a concrete stone block Coal, Wood and Ice House served by the same siding and there was another business closer to Maple which was also on the extension of the Congress Park Yard lead.

In the early days of Grossdale and Brookfield there was a brisk business as whole house kits were shipped in from Sears and probably other companies.  There were a few medium sized industries in Brookfield of which I have never researched (I recall a printing-related company north of the movie theater on Grand Boulevard).  There was a proposal to expand the Depot to the east to provide a larger freight room but apparently the anticipated additional business did not materialize and it was never implemented.  If I remember correctly the drawing was dated in the 1940s or 50s.

Charlie Vlk