[CBQ] Kendall County Historical Society/Fox River Branch Presentation

To: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Kendall County Historical Society/Fox River Branch Presentation
From: "Leo Phillipp via groups.io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 10 Sep 2022 16:26:59 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Saturday Sept. 24 the BRHS will be at the Kendall County IL Historical
Society Fall Festival. I will be presenting a one hour version of the history
of the Q’s Fox River Branch that ran between Montgomery and Streator,IL. at
1:00 PM in the main building.
While a branch with typical agricultural business this line was a heavy tonnage
line on light rail and unbanked curves. Major products on line were coal,
silica sand,gravel(from Q owned pits), automobile glass and bottles. This line
was defined by the grades out of the Illinois River valley in both directions.
Come early and stay late as your $6 admission fee opens up access to 21
historic buildings that include a one room school, church, general store and
many more. Also included are the original Plano,IL depot from the 1850s which
later became the towns freight house and a well kept Q waycar built in 1918 at
the Aurora shops that will also be open to visit.

The fest is open from 10A-3PM. There will be traditional farm exhibits, hay
rides and more. On Sunday there’s also a classic car show.

Chicagoland BRHS members here’s your chance to volunteer and share your
knowledge. I was told earlier that the Kendall H.S. had their own docents for
the depot and waycar. It turns out they need more to spell those they have . If
you can spend a couple hours sharing your knowledge about a Q waycar and depot
contact me and I’ll put you in touch with the event coordinator. In the past
when BRHS arranged docents for the depot and waycar their admission fee was
waived. Feel free to discuss with the event coordinator when you talk with her.

A slimmed down version of the BRHS company store will be at the event on
Saturday the 24th.

Hope to see you there,

Leo Phillipp