Re: [CBQ] M-2A 2-20-2 feedwater heaters

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] M-2A 2-20-2 feedwater heaters
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jun 2022 12:18:26 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Dale,

I think that, by the mid 1930s, Elesco and Worthington BL feed water heaters
had fallen out of favor with the Q Mechanical Dept. Hudson no. 3012 (built at
West Burlington Shop in 1935) was the last new locomotive built with an Elesco
FWH. The last 28 O5 4-8-4s and S4A 4-6-4 no. 4001 were all built with
Worthington SA model FWH. It appears that the Q first became interested in FWHs
in the early 1920s, about the time that FWHs were becoming popular on all of
the major railroads. Some of the 1922 O1A 2-8-2s were factory equipped with
FWHs while others were not. I haven’t determined the exact break point, but
5125 did not have a FWH while the builders photo of 5138 shows that it was
equipped with a FWH (Worthington BL). All of the 1923 O1As appear to have had
FWHs as built.

Between the early 1920s and the mid 1930s, the Q applied FWH to many mid size
and larger locomotives, including 4-6-2s, 2-8-2s and 2-10-2s. I have never been
able to determine how they decided which brand of FWH was going to be applied.
It may have been determined by which salesman bought lunch that day! In
general, I would say that Worthington had the edge. A few of the O3 2-8-2s were
equipped with Coffin FWHs, but they apparently were not very successful on the
Q as they were not applied to other locomotives and of those that were applied,
some were later removed. This resulted in the only O3 class locomotives with
centered headlights.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO