Re: [CBQ] Deadwood SD DSW1 question

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Deadwood SD DSW1 question
From: "Winton" <runextra@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 31 May 2022 14:07:30 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
There is a lot of misconception about the Edgemont to Deadwood line and its
branches.
The steepest grades on the mainline (Edgemont to Deadwood)  are 3.0%. There are
no 4% as often  stated.
The Keystone Branch has several 4.0% grades, including the two just out of Hill
City. There are no 5 or 6% grades as is often stated.
To answer your question about the the Kirk to Lead (Homestake) branch, the MP
numbers start with MP 0 at Kirk and go to MP 1.95 at the Fantail switchback.
The grades from Kirk to Fantail are 2.5% to 3.5% (mostly just above 3%).
The mileposts on the upper line from Lead to Fantail start at MP 0 at Lead and
go to MP 1.44 at Fantail switchback. Note that this is the opposite MP
numbering direction from the lower Kirk to Fantail MP numbering. To continue
our journey from Kirk to Lead I will state the grades FROM FANTAIL. From the
fantail switchback at MP 1.44 to the top of the grade at MP 0.35 (that is 1.1
miles) the grade is mostly 2% to 1.5% with a very short section of 3.5% just
beyond the switchback at Fantail. From the crest at MP 0.35 the line descends
on 3.5% to 4.6% grade to Lead. (Note this is only 3/10ths of a mile from the
crest to Lead.
I worked the Deadwood yard engine with the BN 91 SW-1 on several occasions in
1975 and 3 times went up to Lead. The most I handled at one time were 2 heavy
loads of ore powdering steel balls in gondolas.
Hope this helps.