[CBQ] Piggyback Trailers to Kable Printing, Mt. Morris, IL

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Piggyback Trailers to Kable Printing, Mt. Morris, IL
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2022 08:51:11 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:20 PM, Jerry Stauffer wrote:
As for the piggy back operation goes, I just talked with a friend a few minutes ago that did some of the loading of pigs there.  He said all trailers cane in empty on rail, pulled off, placed at a loading dock and then reloaded on the trailers.  There were 2 ramps.  No one seams to remember when the ramps were installed but they are guessing the real early 60's.  Stan says he remembers still loading trailers up to around 1976 and the ramps were gone in the early 80's.  He doesn't recall anyone else using the ramps other than Kable Printing.
Way back in 2010 there was a discussion about the Mt. Morris track plan that included a question I posed about piggyback operations. While it was clear that there was piggyback operations at Kable, as noted above, I had never seen a photo even remotely showing anything about piggyback operations.

A friend gave me a copy of the Winter 2019 Classic Trains, and in an article by William Diven there is a photo from June 15, 1970 of the Morning Zephyr/EB/NCL coming into Oregon, IL on the main line from Mpls/StP. On the the track closest to the depot, which was used for Mt Morris interchange cars, is a TOFC flatcar with one trailer on it, CBQZ 206338, a 1958 Strick 40' van trailer.

Has anyone else perhaps run across any photos of piggyback cars at Oregon or actually at Kable? Anyone run across any additional info on the piggyback operations at Kable? I'm especially interested in how often piggyback service took place and whether anyone has any car numbers or trailer numbers other than what I just posted.

--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#63384) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_