[CBQ] FW: CB&Q Mainline west of Aurora - 1854 Timetables

To: <brhslist@groups.io>, <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: [CBQ] FW: CB&Q Mainline west of Aurora - 1854 Timetables
From: "Dave Lotz" <Dave_Lotz@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Mar 2022 18:43:37 -0500
Cc: "'William Husband'" <kybillhusb@gmail.com>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Done!

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: William Husband <kybillhusb@gmail.com>
Sent: Friday, March 4, 2022 5:41 PM
To: David Lotz <dave_lotz@bellsouth.net>
Subject: CB&Q Mainline west of Aurora - 1854 Timetables

Dave-I tried to post this on the BRHS Bulletin Board but couldn't get it
through. Could you post if for me? Thanks

I sent the 1854 timetable to the Little White School Museum in Oswego. It was
originally a 3 room school. I attended there, and my mother was a teacher there
in later years.

The response below is from Roger Matile, who is a curator at the museum.

Here is my email to the Museum:

 <https://ssl.gstatic.com/ui/v1/icons/mail/profile_mask2.png>

William Husband <kybillhusb@gmail.com <mailto:kybillhusb@gmail.com> >

Feb 25, 2022, 2:47 PM (7 days ago)
         <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif>
 <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif>
to info, Judy
 <https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif>
Roger, I came across this 1854 timetable for the Chicago & Aurora Railroad. It
shows the line running from

Montgomery
Oswego

Bristol
Plano
Newark
Somonauk

The line of course, did not run on the east side of the Fox River, but rather
the west side. Apparently, Oswego was settled on the west side of the river at
that time???

https://movingthefreight.files.wordpress.com/2020/11/chicago-aurora-4-8-14-1854.pdf

Thought you might be interested.
Response from Roger Matile

The CB&Q main line ran where it is today west of the river. The railroad
originally wanted to cross the Fox at Oswego, not Aurora, because the river's
narrowest right where the Oswego Bridge is today. But the village fathers
turned down the railroad--meaning its shops as well--favoring instead the plank
road under consideration to run from Indiana to Oswego. That road was never
built, of course.

Since the line crossed at Aurora, it then ran slightly WSW through Oswego,
Bristol, and Little Rock townships north of the Fox River. Oswego Station was
built where modern Light Road crosses the tracks west of the river. Two or
three lumber yards grew up around the station, but that was about it. Bristol
Station, a little farther west, saw more growth around it, with a grain
elevator and other businesses and residences eventually becoming an actual
village. The third station in Kendall County west of Bristol Station was on
land owned by Lewis Steward, who told the railroad that if they ran the line
through his land and put a station there, he'd plat a town. Which he did, and
which he named Plano.

Bristol was the original name for the portion of Yorkville north of the Fox
River. It was a separate village for years after it was founded. But
eventually, it merged with Yorkville. At that time, Bristol Station officially
became simply Bristol, as it has been known since. Oswego Station was abandoned
around 1870 after the Ottawa, Oswego, and Fox River Rail Road was completed
from Streator to Geneva. That line almost immediately became the CB&Q's Fox
River Branch line.

/s/ Roger Matile