Re: [CBQ] 60' Box Cars Between Mpls/StP and Chicago

To: "cbq@groups.io" <cbq@groups.io>, "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] 60' Box Cars Between Mpls/StP and Chicago
From: "Fred Crissey" <fhc925@frontier.com>
Date: Sat, 4 Sep 2021 19:44:07 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Tom:
I've been racking my brain about CBQ 60ft box cars in other than auto parts service.  IIRC there was an internal debate about the  even buying 60ft cars for the auto industry.  The only other 60ft cars were the RBBQ 78000 series insulated box cars for food products.  The RBBX 79000 series cars were 50ft mileage cars while the RBBQ 78000 and RBBQ 77000 (50ft) were per diem cars.  The C&S had a bunch of 60ft insulated cars for Coors with RBCS marks. There were some 60ft box cars built a little later assigned to LOF at Ottawa but they were for moving auto glass to General Motors assembly plants.  The problem with the CBQ was there were no auto assembly plants online although the GM assembly plant at Fairfax, KS (Kansas City) on the UP was open to reciprocal switching.  Even the Ford plant at KC (Claycomo) served by the WAB/N&W/NS is not open to CBQ/BN/BNSF although the WAB/etc. uses CBQ/etc. trackage rights to gain access.  But that's another story.  Also there were no auto ramps for finished cars/trucks on the Q although the facility at Laurel MT on the NP was open to the Q.  Auto ramps were considered the same as team tracks and closed to reciprocal switching.
Fred Crissey