[CBQ] This morning at the Pilot Grove depot

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] This morning at the Pilot Grove depot
From: "Ken Vandevoort" <countrydepottrains@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 2021 16:09:33 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
A bus load of summer school students from Winfield-Mt. Union elementary school arrived at the Dover Museum in New London this morning.  Marvin Klos and I were in charge of entertaining them at the depot.  Actually, I had no idea what age group we were going to deal with, so I studied Dave Lotz's article on the Burlington and North Western and the Burlington and Western as these railroads ran through the kids' towns.  It turned out to be recent graduates of kindergarten thru 4th grade, so they were broken up into three age appropriate groups.  I really felt sorry for these kids as they don't get to see any trains on a day to day basis and I get 30 to 40 of them in the backyard every day.  My job was to explain what depots were for and what the agents did.  A few kids also got to hear what their name sounded like in morse code.  Marvin's job was to show and explain hardware he used in his days with the CB&Q/BN on a B&B crew.  I asked one group if they had any questions and I never expected the question I got.  One kid wanted to know what was in a drawer.  I had no idea and opened it for them.  It was full of Sly Fox and Birdie coloring books that the BNSF Operation Lifesaver guy (BNSF engineer) left after a Christmas open house.  Every kid got a coloring book to take home.  The kids and the teachers were all great this morning.  We keep trying to train up a future generation to continue the interest in history and the hobby.

Ken Vandevoort
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#62276) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_