[CBQ] gn/np/cb&q EXTRAS

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] gn/np/cb&q EXTRAS
From: "Richard Eisfeller" <bigeee@trainvideos.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2021 17:40:10 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I have info on the extra wests on the eastern part of the GN and NP.  The GN ran extras out of the Twin Cities that were called Minot boxes and Dakota Boxes.  Minot boxes ran via the Willmar line and Surry cut-off while Dakota boxes ran vid St, cloud to Fargo or Grand Forks. These were solid empty boxcar trains.  West of Minot Butte boxes were run.  #199 sometimes was all empty boxes.  The car limit on these trains was 140 cars.  The NP on the eastern part of their system ran DFWs and EXDHs.  Both handled all kinds of empties and sometimes a few loads.  DFW meant Dead Freight West and an EXDH stood for extra west originating at Staples.  DH was the telegraph call letters for Staples.  Late in the sixties the CB&Q occasionally ran an extra west out of Cicero to the Twin Cities that was mostly or all empties, usually in the afternoon.  I saw a couple of these, one with 153 cars at Rochelle.  The consists mentioned probably originally came form me.  I have consists of the NP extras but not the "boxes" on the GN.
Dick Eisfeller
The CB&Q and CNW got the most cars from the GN and NP in the Twin cities.
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#61816) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_