Re: [CBQ] Loveland Colorado Station

To: "CBQ@groups.io" <CBQ@groups.io>
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Loveland Colorado Station
From: "Richard Townsend via groups.io" <richtownsend=netscape.net@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2020 20:59:01 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Like Hol, I have never found any plans for the Loveland depot at the CRRM or anywhere else, and I have looked hard. The CRRM does have an AFE file  from 1902 for the depot, but it contains no drawings. It does refer to a (missing) sketch plan and says the passenger station would measure 30 by 80 feet and the freight station would be 30 by 60. Keep in mind that this is from before any detailed plans were drawn up, but it is consistent with other information I have, which is described below.

I expected the city building department to have some plans from when the depot was remodeled into a restaurant, but they told me they didn't which surprised me (for 20 years until recently I was in the business of issuing building permits, and certainly would have required plans for the remodel, but I guess things were done differently then and there). I even wrote to the property owner, but got no response.

BUT, here is what I do have. The 1918 valuation survey says the depot measured 30 by 178 feet. Tantalizingly, it says to refer to 16 drawings, but they are not in the valuation file (I reviewed the file at the National Archives in Maryland).

Also, scaling off of a Sanborn map, which is dicey, I can say that it shows the main depot as being about 35 feet wide at its widest (it varied), and 80 feet long. The covered freight area in the middle is about 41 feet long. The baggage and express part of the building is about 27 by 57. All are approximate and loaded with caveats, but it's something, plus the total length jibes with the valuation survey and essentially are consistent with the AFE statements. There also was a wooden platform about 115 feet long beyond the building itself to the north.

Here is what I would conclude if I were to model the Loveland depot - I'm not: I'm modeling the Longmont depot): the passenger depot is 80 feet long and up to 35 feet wide. The freight depot is 30 by 60 feet. and the covered area between the two (now glassed in) is about 40 feet long.

Of course, one could actually measure the depot, which would give the most accurate results. Just a quick jaunt from Walla Walla.

Richard Townsend
Lincoln City, OR