[CBQ] NPRHA 2020 Freight Car Survey

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] NPRHA 2020 Freight Car Survey
From: "Tom Mack via groups.io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2020 05:58:59 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
The following was posted on the NPModelers IO group. I am reposting it for two important reasons:

1. A lot of Q modelers need/want prototypical NP cars. I, for example, can use just about every car on the NPRHA survey!

2. At least two of the cars are CB&Q crossover models!! Candidate #1, the 52ft Straight Sill Flatcar, was already done in resin by Spedwitch Media. This same car was also sold as a CB&Q FM-12 and the SP&S 34000-34199 series flatcars. Speedwitch seems to do their homework, so I am assuming these three flatcars are all the same. Candidate #9, 40' Steel Combo Door Boxcar, Brainerd, is noted a being very similar to a Q car. The NP cars are almost identical to the CB&Q XM-2/2A's 41000-41899 (900 cars). From photos, it looks like the side panels are spot on, including the number of panels and diagonal rivet lines next to the doors. There may be a bit of a difference on the frame channels.

I was thinking that this would be a very good time for a possible joint project between the BRHS and the NPRHA. If the flatcars are indeed identical, then perhaps the BRHS could contribute to or split tooling costs, and then the cars could be run in both NP and CB&Q paint schemes. If the SP&S folks got in on this, the tooling could be split three ways, we would get a third RR scheme, and money would be saved by all involved. This "savings" could be used to perhaps do the 40' DD box as both the NP model and a Q XM-2/2A. Not counting paint tooling costs (which I assume are not nearly as intensive as the actual car tooling), basically Q modelers would get five cars for the price of one - CB&Q, NP, and SP&S 50ft flatcars, NP and CB&Q 40' DD boxcars. The SP&S folks would get a nice flatcar as well. This would also save money for the NPRHA so they can do some of the other cars on their list!

Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Here is the post from the NPModelers Group:

NP Modelers,
The NPRHA Modeling Committee has developed a survey to gauge preferences for HO models to be developed in the conjunction with manufacturers. Your input will influence which models could be released over the next several years.
No guarantees of course, but we have plans to get VERY serious about developing NP specific models, following the lead of other RR historical societies.

The process to take the survey is pretty straight forward, but does involve two elements - "pictures of the 12 options" in a PDF file, and the actual survey on the SurveyMonkey site. Responding should take less than 10 minutes. The survey will close at the end of December.
Your responses should indicate your preference from the 12 offered, you get three votes in 1-2-3 priority.
Steps to take the survey:

1. Open this reference PDF file:
http://www.nprha.org/2020_Survey/Freight_Car_Survey.pdf

2. Now open the survey
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/N6C9CZD
3. Answer all applicable questions in the survey, using the PDF file to view data and pictures for the options, clicking Done to save your responses when you're done.
Some details:

* Dollar costs are rough projections to help in contrasting options. Don't get too hung up on the dollar amounts.

* You might want to review the full PDF listing before starting to cast selections.

* There is one required response - your last name.

THANK YOU!
NPRHA Modeling Committee
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60940) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic

_._,_._,_