Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Step Box

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Passenger Car Step Box
From: "Joe Hardman" <theoneafter909@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2020 11:18:42 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

[Edited Message Follows]

Leo:

American Railroads were unionized by 1900 while many manufacturing firms, like the HALDAN lantern company of St. Louis, contiued to use child and other inexpensive labor sources. Therefore, what I stated above regarding cost savings would certainly have been true during the 1900 time period. If "Q" mangement at the time was not on top of operating costs and efficiency, like Class I railrads are today, then the shop made theory may hold water. The fact there is a MORTON like metal box attached to the bottom of the step in question is a red flag in this case and why the "shop made" theory just does't quite ring true. We will never know and why I feel the step box shoulld be left "as is" so future generations will have the opertunity to continue our debate.

Joe Hardman
Downers Grove, IL
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#60315) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic