Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Wheel Reports

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] CB&Q Wheel Reports
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2020 10:33:16 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
All of the CB&Q wheel reports I've seen are due to someone (in this case Russ Strotz) saving old teletype consists and switchlists. I tend to doubt this was intentional and the ones saved were thrown into a pile of unrelated paperwork and found later when sorting through the paperwork stack. I am sure there were file cabinets full of such things kept into the BN era at various yards and depots, but have long since reached a landfill site.

Some railroads had a policy that these consists were business secrets and to be disposed of immediately after a run. I've seen on the PRR lists that this was PRR policy and to date no one has ever come across an actual PRR freight consist from the teletype era.

I know the MP Society has a number of wheel reports as Ed Hawkins when he was editor devoted an entire issue of their society's publication to going over it and the associated rolling stock. This dovetailed with the Railway Prototype Cyclopedia publication that Ed and Pat Wilder were doing at the time. Ed wrote in that issue if their was interest, they could do more. But since no more has been done about it, I would assume there was not much interest.

I love these consists lists, but I also realize I am in the .01% of model railroaders who are.

Bill Hirt