Re: [CBQ] Wyoming IL information

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Wyoming IL information
From: "Kirby Lambert" <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2020 11:55:39 -0600
Cc: Kirby Lambert <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Ricky and James:

I have had good luck with "Aerial Images"-"Aerial Images Single Frame" data set. I have not had much luck with "Aerial Images Mosiac" data set.

Remember that the images are listed with the most recent first and the oldest last. I have seen some from the 30's but most are from the 40's on.

For Example. on the search criteria tab I enter Wyoming, IL as the place and then click the show button. I then choose the data sets tab and under Aerial Images click the boxes for Mosiacs and single frame images and then click results. I then choose the results tab and use the pull down to see what showed up in each data set. In the single frame data set for Wyoming, IL the last entry on page 2 and the first entry on page 3 are from 1956. To download the images it will require registration and a log in. The 2 images from 1956 are about 75 MB each so they should give a fair amount of detail.

When viewing the images they frequently have to be rotated to get North at the top of the image. The top of the image as it downloads is usually the direction that the plane was flying when the image was made.

I have found that when viewing older B&W images that if I toggle between a current google map or google earth image it helps me find the area of the older image I should concentrate on. Things like main roads tend to have the same basic silhouette even if they have been significantly upgraded or modernized. It at least makes it easier to ignore the parts of the image that I am not interested in.

Decatur, IL