Re: [CBQ] Milepost 206 Publishing, Inc.

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Milepost 206 Publishing, Inc.
From: "qmp211" <milepost206@mchsi.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2019 18:06:32 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Pete,

That's what I thought re: the Mark Twain quote.

However,  from
https://www.quora.com/Why-did-Mark-Twain-say-The-rumours-of-my-death-have-been-greatly-exaggerated

"Mark Twain was in London in 1897 as part of a speaking tour around the world. He had considerable debt in the US and hoped to earn enough money to pay it off.

While he was in London, a rumor started that he was seriously ill. This was followed by a rumor that he was dead.  The story goes that an American newspaper printed Twain's obituary. Supposedly after that, when asked about all this by a reporter, Twain said:

The reports of my death are greatly exaggerated.

Another version of the quote is:

The reports of my death have been greatly exaggerated.

The fact is this whole matter was greatly exaggerated. The truth is Frank Marshall White, an American journalist, contacted Twain by cable in London to ask about Twain's health.

In point of fact, all such commonly-heard versions using “greatly exaggerated” and “grossly exaggerated” are misquotes.

It is true that in late May of 1897 the English correspondent for the New York Journal, Frank Marshall White, contacted Twain in London to inquire about his health, and then later, to ask for comment about reports that Twain was on his deathbed.

Twain responded:

I can understand perfectly how the report of my illness got about, I have even heard on good authority that I was dead. [A cousin] was ill in London two or three weeks ago, but is well now. The report of my illness great out of his illness,. The report of my death was an exaggeration."

Since neither of us were there, it's still a toss-up.

Randy

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#58368) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic