Re: [CBQ] Apollo 11 in Burlington Yard 50 Years Ago

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Apollo 11 in Burlington Yard 50 Years Ago
From: "cbq_bill" <cbq_bill@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Sat, 10 Aug 2019 09:34:10 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I saw it on TV with my brother & parents.  We had paper LEM models from Gulf Gas Station that were free with a full up.  I remember all of the Charlie Brown & Snoopy Apollo merchandise.  Apollo 9 or 8 had its CM & LEM named Charlie Brown & Snoopy, respectively.

There were styrene models of the Saturn V, CM, & LEM available at the dime stores.  I had a few figures from the Major Matt Mason series.  My brother & I played with them in the rocks that bordered Mom's flower garden.

My parents subcribed to National Geographic, so I spent a lot of time reading through their coverage of the various Apollo missions over my grade school to help go school years.

After yhe 25 year anniversary of Apollo 11, I built one of the 1/48 scale models of the LEM Eagle on the lunar surface with Armstrong & Aldrin on their walk.

The weekend of the 50th anniversary, I watched the PBS shows & searched online for Apollo models.  I was intrigued by Lego's 39" model of the Saturn V rocket, so I bought it at the Lego Store in Gurnee IL.  The store Manager has built a 10' Saturn V model with accompanying red gantry tower. Lego also has a LEM model kit available now.

The sophistication of many of Lego's kits are amayzing.  CMSI had an exhibit of scale models of the Golden Gate Bridge, White House, etc by a professional architect s few years back.  The architect was influenced heavily by Lego's as a child.

As for me, the Apollo program, Star Trek, science fiction, pharmacist friend of family, science & math teachers, and 4H projects (geology, photography, & model rocketry) all influenced may attraction to science.  I earned my BS in chemistry & have been employed in pharmaceutical development for my 30+ year career.

thanks,Apollo !!!

CB&Q Bill
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#57894) | Reply To Group | Reply To Sender | Mute This Topic | New Topic