[CBQ] Downers Grove Turntable

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Downers Grove Turntable
From: "William Barber" <clipperw@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Feb 2019 14:56:12 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Sometimes, you come upon things that you never expected! I was scanning some old negatives that my dad took in the 1930s. In amongst them, was the attached photo of an S1 or S2 pacific on an eastbound passenger train in Downers Grove. The fact that the locomotive is on a regular passenger train and not a commuter train was a surprise. However, even more surprising was the foreground which shows the construction site for the third and last turntable installed in Downers Grove. I have never seen a similar photo before. The older table is seen to the left in the photo. The new TT will be relocated from Creston, IA. The pit for the new table is approximately where the old roundhouse was located. Records indicate the the new table was installed at Downers Grove in 1936, so I suspect that Dad took this photo in the winter of 1935 - 1936.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56776) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic