Re: [CBQ] Old St. Francis Branch

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Old St. Francis Branch
From: "Kirby Lambert" <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 11:19:26 -0600
Cc: Kirby Lambert <kirby@prospectortech.com>
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Thank-You Hol & Bryan. I was afraid that what I had heard was correct. Another piece of our shared history bites the dust. I guess the big semi's hauling grain (wheat and corn) killed it off.

As a youth I was introduced to the autobiographies/memoirs of Ralph Moody. He wrote 8 books about growing up from age 8 in 1906 to when he married in 1922. In the last two books he was in Decatur County Kansas and the action centered around the now almost non-existant town of Cedar Bluffs, Kansas, a stop on the old St Francis Branch of the Q. His stories covered the transition of the west from horse to car. He shipped livestock on the Q, delivered grain to elevators on the Q and furnished meat to the Q commissary department when part of the branch had to be rebuilt following a flood. His books illustrated how intimately farm life of that period and the rails were intertwined.

The two books that involved the Q were "The Dry Divide" and "Horse of a Different Color".

I was able to visit that area in 1987 and there were still some buildings from that era including a grain elevator. There is a picture of the Cedar Bluffs elevator from 1996 at this link, "http://www.grainelevatorphotos.com/photogallery.html". That elevator is now gone also. The Cedar Bluffs Q station is supposed to still exist. It is purportedly being used as an outbuilding on a local farm.

Kirby Lambert