Re: [CBQ] Tinted vs Clear Windows in HO Passenger Cars

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Tinted vs Clear Windows in HO Passenger Cars
From: "firstname lastname" <trains28@jimsjunction.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2019 09:40:40 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tinting the side windows on Post-War Budd cars really enhances the overall appearance. Railway Classics, in their later years, offered Proto Correct window glazing which had that Bluish Green prototype appearance. The closest product I have found to the Proto Correct window tint is Rosco CalColor #4330 Gel. which is available from B&H Camera and Video. The problem is that it comes in 24"x50' rolls for $89.95 and gives you a lifetime+ of window tint. Buying the gel in rolls vs. sheets cuts down on crinkling the gel. Maybe other photo companies carry it in smaller segments. This would be an internet search thing.  It is thinner than the Proto Correct tint- but if you exercise care and don't push on the windows after the glue dries, it works well. I use Testors Clear Parts Cement #3515 to glue the tint in place ( looks white in the bottle but dries clear). I cut the tint in about 3/4" strips and using shorter more easy to manage strip segments, not one that is the full length of the car, I put a bead of glue around each window to hold the tint in place. The glue sets up pretty quickly. The nice thing about the Shoreham Shops cars is that the inside of the windows have a small ridge around them, and this helps prevent the glue from oozing onto the outside of the window pane.

  John Olson

  Billings, Mt