Re: [CBQ] Froedtert Malt in Winona, MN

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Froedtert Malt in Winona, MN
From: "William Hirt" <whirt@fastmail.com>
Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2018 09:58:08 -0600
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

Tom,

A great source of railroad served industry information is the NMRA Operations SIG web site. There is a separate section with crowd sourced industry info. The web address is:

<http://www.opsig.org/reso/inddb/>

Froedtert Malt in Winona was served by the MILW and CGW (later C&NW). Because of traffic splits, it was not unusual for non-home railroads to have cars assigned to off-line. For example, the Carnation plant in Waverly, IA, on the CGW in 1966 had RRBX cars 79708-79711 assigned to it. PRR also had 4 cars assigned, C&EI, D&RGW and GB&W 2 cars each, and Southern 1 car. I recall reading that General Electric's Appliance Park appliance assembly plants had cars from 29 different railroads assigned to it in 1960 even though it was only directly served by the L&N and maybe SOU. I hope some of the former Q or BN traffic agents can add more to this.

There was an article about 2 years ago by Brian Holtz (BRHS member) in the Operations SIG publication Dispatcher's Office when he was the traffic manager for Schlitz in Milwaukee in the 1970s. The brewery was served by the MILW, but he used whatever railroad would provide cars to ship product and give them as much of the haul as possible. He said he was able to get brand new cars from the ATSF, D&RGW, and the P&W this way because the payments by Schlitz for moving beer in the cars to the railroads providing cars exceeded what the cars cost the railroads in construction, loan and maintenance costs.

Railroads have circular that indicated specific car assignments. I have a copy of one that was kept by a CGW conductor of all assigned cars on the CGW as of March 7, 1966. I would be interested in seeing similar one for the CB&Q. I've attached to this message the CGW car assignment circular as the CGW had cars assigned to various CB&Q served customers at that time.

Bill Hirt