[CBQ] GN F's and CB&Q Power on Freight in 1968

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] GN F's and CB&Q Power on Freight in 1968
From: "Tom Mack via Groups.Io" <thommack=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 06 Nov 2018 04:43:37 -0800
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
There is a very interesting slide for sale on eBay right now of a freight train in St Paul led by a GN A-B-A F-unit set followed by a Q U28B and two Q GP40's.

https://ebay.us/Z6LvlZ

Does anyone recognize the location? I am trying to figure out whether this train is headed east to Savanna and Chicago or west on the GN. My guess is that at this late date this may be a set of F's being traded in to EMD. If it is, however, it is very interesting to see them on the point! The fact that CB&Q GP40 621 is in the consist confirms that this was indeed shot in 1968 (or later) since the 600-series GP40's were built in February 1968.

To back up the theory of these F-units heading to La Grange as trade-ins, there is a photo in the GN Color Pictorial Volume 2 on page 120 of a consist at the Q locomotive facility in Minneapolis, MN  of GN 436D F3A, Q 633 GP40, NYC 2569 U25B, Q 104 U25B, and Q 110 U28B. The caption on the photo says that GN 463D was headed for EMD La Grange on trade-in. I "assumed" that it would be trailing and dead-in-consist, but if GN was trading in a number of F-units in 1968 then this is a very cool shot showing that these units were running when sent to EMD and in fact did even lead at least one Q train in the late 1960's!

On the flip side, if this is headed to La Grange I now not only have an excuse to run a GN F-unit A-B-A set, but the cost associated with putting one together!!!
--
Tom Mack
Cincinnati, OH

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#56155) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic