[CBQ] Looking for a photo of the Rock Falls wayfreight waycar

To: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Looking for a photo of the Rock Falls wayfreight waycar
From: "Leo Phillipp via Groups.Io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 19:50:38 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
One of the stories I told during last nights presentation on "The Q in Lee
County" was the story of how the Rock Falls wayfreight waycar came to display a
drawing of a pheasant in flight chalked on it instead of the previous markings
of R.F.

In case any reader needs a reminder,back in the day waycars were assigned to
jobs. So when the yard master would tell the switch foreman in the west yard at
Eola to for example, go get the Rock Falls waycar off the scale and tack it on
the rear end of track such and such. The crew would simply go to the scale and
look at the chalk marks on the flanks of the waycars until they found the one
chalked R.F. But one day an incident happened on the branch and thereafter that
waycar proudly displayed a pheasant in flight on both flanks. Yes there was an
engineer at Eola, MIke Meketti(sp?) that could do the drawing very well indeed
and maybe someone else. At any rate it was applied and stayed.

I believe I've already told the story on these venues before so I won't repeat.
But after last nights telling the requests are coming in for a picture. Please
check your waycar photos at Eola,Aurora,Earlville and on the branch to Sterling
as many would love to see what it looked like ! I don't know the exact time of
the renowned incident but based on the Condrs seniority it would have been late
50s or 1960s.

Thanks,
Leo