[CBQ] Sandwich Fair help needed

To: CBQ@groups.io, BRHSlist@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Sandwich Fair help needed
From: "Leo Phillipp via Groups.Io" <qutlx1=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 8 Aug 2018 18:23:02 -0500
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
BRHS members with Bulletin 55 you received an announcement of the society
having a company store display at the Sandwich,Illinois fair. Please go to
Burlingtonroute.org and follow the steps to sign up for time slots as a
volunteer. Why do we need your help ?

Three years ago the board started to address the demographics issue that all
historical societies face and in particular fallen flag railroad societies face
in earnest. With each passing day fewer and fewer people are alive who remember
the Burlington first hand.

After considerable discussion at the Rock Island Meet business meeting steps
began to be taken to make concerted efforts to expose new groups to the BRHS.
The steps taken have included approximately a dozen presentations to local on
line town and county historical societies with the BRHS  company store at each.
There are currently 4 more scheduled and some time ago the threshold was
reached where local societies contact us rather than the BRHS asking if they
have interest in learning about the the Burlington.
We have some major presentations upcoming: in the founders Room at Chicago
Union Station, Founders Day in Downers Grove and more.

The society has expanded its presence at railroadiana shows and train model
shows beyond what had been an ongoing presence. We have added the Milwaukee
trainfest for two years and in 2019 will be the feature railroad society where
up to 20-25,000 people will see our presence. We also are at the La Crosse,WI
events and the St Charles,IL train shows and others I can't think of right now.
We've even had members set up at events overseas.

All this has resulted in a stopping of the decline in membership and a
maintenance of our numbers.

With the Sandwich Fair attendance of 100,000/day and up to 300,000/day on
weekends and with our location close to the miniature scale live steam Q Hudson
and train that tens of thousands ride, we hope to introduce thousands of new
people to the Burlington railroad and the BRHS.

Please step up and volunteer (you know your going to the fair, and if not you
should) so we can grow the BRHS !

By the way 3 members of the BRHS board are committed to be at the tent all
week. Yes that's 5 days at 14 hours a day plus Tuesday setup and Monday tear
down. But we are human and the 14 hours of service law(the hog law) was reduced
in 1972. Help us get a break so we can go home to be with our families for at
least part of each day.

Thank you,
Leo Phillipp
BRHS Board Member