[CBQ] This Weekend: 2018 St. Louis RPM Meet

To: J Golden <golden1014@yahoo.com>
Subject: [CBQ] This Weekend: 2018 St. Louis RPM Meet
From: "golden1014 via Groups.Io" <golden1014=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2018 14:13:00 +0000 (UTC)
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
Hi Friends,

We're looking forward to seeing you in Collinsville, Illinois this weekend for St. Louis RPM!

Meet up with friends and fellow railroad modelers at the nation's largest railroad prototype modeler's event.  St. Louis RPM 2018 features 23 clinics and 7 hands-on presentations, 120 tables of hand-picked, scale model vendors, 2 kitbash clinics, modular layouts in-house, 16 railroad historical societies, hands-on learning stations and exhibitors, home layout tours, evening social events, and the largest attendee model display in the nation.  All this and more in the modern, professional Gateway Convention Center in Collinsville, Illinois, just 15 minutes east of metro St. Louis.

A last-minute update: John Green's 6-3 Sleeper hands-on kitbash clinic will happen on Friday a 2:15.  Cost is only $15 and you'll need to bring a sprue nippers and a hobby knife.  If you don't bring one, our tool vendors will have some available.

Our clinic schedule is attached.

Want more info?  Check out our website at http://icg.home.mindspring.com/rpm/stlrpm.htm for flyers, photos and details, or contact Lonnie Bathurst at Bathurst@litchfieldil.com or John Golden at Golden1014@yahoo.com.  You can also simply Google St. Louis RPM and read all about it.

For up-to-the-minute meet details, read on!

Your Models!
STL RPM is a modeler's meet, and the heart of our event is Your Models.  Bring your models--one or a hundred--for our huge model display.  There are No contest or awards.  Bring your models to meet new friends, display and teach your work, and learn from your fellow friends and modelers.  We have a whopping 80 full 8 x 2-1/2-foot tables set aside for models this year so bring 'em!  Rolling stock, structures, modules, dioramas, and everything related to railroad modeling--in any scale or gauge--is welcome.  Displaying your models is easy, free and safe.  We want to set a mark of 5,000 models so bring them along and take part in the big event.

Vendors
Vendors are a very important part of our event.  We'll have 120 tables of hand-picked, scale model vendors waiting for you.  In addition to offering the latest products, our vendors are coming to meet you and talk to you about your ideas and new products.  This year's lineup includes Tangent Scale Models, Speedwitch, Intermountain, ExactRail, Yarmouth, Kadee, Bluford Shops, Protocraft, Rapido, Rails Unlimited, Mask Island Hobbies, Plano, Bethlehem Car Works, Central Valley, Oak Hill Model Railroad Supply, SoundTraxx, ScaleTrains, Badger, Cannon & Co., Custom Finishing, Chad Boas/Model Railroad Supply, Modern O Scale, Mood Dog Rail Cars, OST Publications, Rocket Express, Q Connection, Spring Creek Hobbies, Classic Trains and Ferraris (the guy with all the Sunshine kits), Arrowhead Models, and more.  Is Iowa Scaled Engineering coming?  You bet--and they're bringing their complete line including the much-talked-about Proto-Throttle, so be sure to pull up a chair and check it out.  We've got a big lineup of photo dealers as well, including Bob's Photos, Mainline Photos, Jim Shaw Photos, and John Fuller from Historical Rail Photos. Our vendors spend a lot of time and money to get to St. Louis so please be sure to tell them thanks!

Hands-On Learning Stations
We've got a lot of cool hands-on exhibitors lined up this year.  Jack Burgess will host a clinic on 3D castings and then will be on the ballroom floor with his CNC machine showing you how to make 3D castings.  Jeff Otto of Oak Hill Model Railroad Supply will be on hand laying turnouts, so be sure to sit with Jeff and learn how to hand-lay your own turnouts.  And finally, Dave Schroedle and the boys from The Weathering Shop are teaming up to provide hands-on learning stations for you to try weathering with powders and other media.  Bring your models, or buy them at the meet, and sit down with the guys and learn some new weathering techniques from the experts.

Hands-On Kitbash Clinics
We have not one but two HO model-building clinics this year.  Ted Culotta of Speedwitch will provide an HO scale freight car model, resin parts, decals, and a special clinic, all designed to discuss the prototype and how to kitbash it.  You can sign up to attend Ted's kitbash clinic online starting on June 15th at http://speedwitchmedia.com/  Our second clinic is being hosted by John Greene of Bethelehem Car Works.  John will provide a clinic and for $15 John will provide a 6-3 sleeper and parts for a unique kitbash.  Bring a sprue nippers and a hobby knife for this one--you'll be doing a lot of work!  Sign up for John's clinic will be available at the font entrance.

Clinics
STL RPM 2018 will feature 23 clinics, all of them about the prototype and how to model it.  Bob Rivard, Jack Burgess, Jim Dufour, Ted Culotta, Mont Switzer, Brian Banna, Dan Holbrook, David Lehlbach, Trevor Marshall, Randy Laframboise, Tim VanMersbergen, Steve Hile, John Greene and Bill Welch highlight our list.  Clinics and presentations run from 9:30 to 5:00 on both Friday and Saturday.  Our Friday Night Pizza Party and Slide Show is hosted by railroad pro Dan Holbrook.

1/87 Vehicles Group
Bob Johnson and the world-famous 1/87 Vehicle Group will attend this year with a whole lot of models and special vehicle vendors to help power up your HO scale vehicle modeling.  Vendors including Zycon Models and Lonestar Models, plus a couple others we're still working on, will be in attendance.

Layouts
New this year, the Ohio Valley Sipping and Switching Society's HO scale modular layout will be in house , alongside Jim Canters awesome Proto48 Nickel Plate modular layout.  Home layout tours are available on Friday evening.  This year we're featuring southwest county layouts by John Schindler, Bob Brady and Mike Wise.  Home layouts are available for registered guests only.  More information, maps and schedules will be available at registration.

Railroad Historical Societies
16 railroad historical societies, representing the Missouri Pacific, New York Central, C&EI, CNW, L&N, Nickel Plate, Wabash, CB&Q, GM&O, Illinois Terminal, and the Terminal Railroad Association will be here, along with the National Railway and Locomotive Historical Society, and maybe a few late surprises too.  The MoPac Society is hosting their annual Railroad Historical Society Meeting on Friday evening.  All officers and officials of all railroad historical societies are welcome.  Details on the Historical Society meeting will be available at the meet.

Door Prizes
Want door prizes?  Our ridiculous, never-ending door prize giveaway will happen on Saturday evening.

Socials
The party starts on Thursday evening, July 19th.  Meet us at Bandana's BBQ on 4 Commerce Drive in Collinsville for our annual and totally unofficial BBQ social and BS session.  It's always packed so get there early.  Then it's off to the DoubleTree for more eats and more BSing led by our Chief St. Louis RPM BS-er, Mr. Lonnie Bathurst.  On Saturday evening after the Historical Society meeting, Lonnie Bathurst hosts the PowerPoint and Pizza Party, with pizza, beer and BS-ing at the convention center followed by John Kohlberg's ICG presentation.  Later that night, meet Lonnie and Dave at the DoubleTree for a nightcap and more BS-ing.

Hotels
Hotels are on your own.  Our featured hotel is the DoubleTree next door to the convention center, which can be found online at http://doubletree3.hilton.com/en/hotels/illinois/doubletree-by-hilton-hotel-collinsville-st-louis-STLCNDT/index.html.  We've got a special rate there for RPM attendees--just call and tell them you want the "RPM Rate".  Other area hotels are also offering RPM rates, so be sure to ask when registering.

St. Louis Attractions
The Cardinals aren't in town, but come early anyway and visit the awesome National Museum of Transportation http://transportmuseumassociation.org/, the John Barriger National Railroad Library http://www.umsl.edu/mercantile/barriger/index.html and take in some of St. Louis's wonderful attractions like the Missouri Botanical Garden, the Gateway Arch National Park, the St. Louis Zoo, Six Flags, and some great shopping.

Don't stay home, man--BRING YOUR MODELS and be part of the big event.  All this for just 25 bucks.

We are grateful to our partners, the Gateway Division, NMRA, for helping us make this happen.

Note To Self:
BRING YOUR MODELS!

Questions?
Contact John Golden at Golden1014@yahoo.com or Lonnie Bathurst at Bathurst@litchfieldil.com.

See you in St. Louis!

Signed, The St. Louis RPM Crew:
Dave Roeder
Brian McQuitty
Mark Lewis
Jeff Kuebler
Lonnie Bathurst
Dan Kohlberg
John Golden

P.S. BRING YOUR MODELS!

_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#55638) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic