Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr Obs Car Mars Light

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] California Zephyr Obs Car Mars Light
From: "jpslhedgpeth via Groups.Io" <jpslhedgpeth=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2018 11:50:55 -0400
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
First the obvious..I hope...When an emergency brake application happened the red light came on automatically.

As far as the manual operation rule 99 would govern..when the train was moving under conditions where it might be overtaken by a following train the light would be displayed manually by the flagman.

But, as always "popped up" when there might appear to be a "loop hole" in a rule that standard wording reading something like ...The mars light does not relieve the flagman from the requirements of rule 99.  That's not, by any means an exact quote, but that's what it meant.   The red light was consider a "supplement" to rule 99...It did not relieve the flagman from "hitting the dirt" with his required supply of torpedoes, fusees, and red flag and/or lantern "when conditions require"

Practically  when the train was moving slowly on a main track the "prudent" thing to do was for the flagman to turn on the red light as well as throwing off fusees..."as conditions require"

Pete