[CBQ] Fixin' the Walthers E7's

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: [CBQ] Fixin' the Walthers E7's
From: "spsalso via Groups.Io" <Edwardsutorik=aol.com@groups.io>
Date: Thu, 03 May 2018 08:20:15 -0700
Sender: CBQ@groups.io
I recently picked up my Walthers E9's--the new ones just out.  While perhaps short of perfection, I do think they look very nice.

Awhile back, I also bought two of the "matching" E7's--plated and "red stripe" on the nose.  I figured they'd look fantastic mixed with the 9's.

I know that the boiler arrangement on the roof of the E7's is wrong.  But what really has me torqued (is that still a word?) is the as-cast black bits on the roof.  While I do concede that they'd get black in service, they also look rather nasty if the roof isn't weathered with soot.  Which I am not quite ready to accept, yet.

Anyway.

I am wondering what folks have done to make the rooftops better on these models.  I can see various directions, but I thought I'd also ask here, first.  Before I start a hackin' and a hewin'.

As I believe I just implied, if Walthers had made the roof all "silver", I'd have probably have accepted the various rooftop flaws.  But they didn't.  So I'm wondering how far to go.  For example:  Should I mask off the radiator louvers, or remove them and spray them separately?  Is there an easy-ish way to do the two boiler exhausts?  it looks kinda difficult to get them "just right".  If I'm aiming (which I am) to re-color the entire roof, why not ALSO do the boiler corrections?  And those exhaust stacks don't look exactly right, either.

I DO have new horns on order.  For all the E's.  Hooray!

Anyway, comments on the matter would be gratefully appreciated,

Ed

Edward Sutorik
_._,_._,_

Groups.io Links:

View/Reply Online (#55424) | Reply To Group | Mute This Topic | New Topic

Change Your Subscription
Group Home
Contact Group Owner
Terms Of Service