Re: [CBQ] R T Davis Milling

To: CBQ@groups.io
Subject: Re: [CBQ] R T Davis Milling
From: "HOL WAGNER" <holpennywagner@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2018 14:12:21 +0000
Accept-language: en-US
Sender: CBQ@groups.io

While I don't have a photo of one of the R.T. Davis cars, I know that it was not unusual in the 1890s for railroads to own cars that were also lettered for the company to whose service they were assigned.  But finding photos of them has proven quite difficult.  The only one I've been able to locate is a series of UP boxcars lettered for an Omaha coal dealer, G.B. Havens & Co.  They carried coal (and yes, coal was regularly carried in boxcars, as well as open cars -- and stock cars) mined in Colorado and Wyoming to consumers in the Missouri River Valley region.  I'm attaching two images, one enlarged from the other, of these cars at the Omaha & Grant smelter in Denver, along with the caption I wrote for the close-up of the car.  Not Q, but similar and of possible interest.

Hol

BTW, the "Gulf" mentioned in the caption below is the Union Pacific, Denver & Gulf, the 1890-1899 predecessor of the Colorado & Southern.  It was written for my too-large-to-publish history of the first decade of the C&S, which also looks at the 10 years preceding that decade.

Boxcars of Omaha independent wholesale coal dealer C.B. Havens & Company were common on the UP and the “Gulf” during the 1890s.  Havens and two partners formed the company in 1886, and when one of the partners left in May 1891, a new company of the same name was incorporated with its main office at 1506 Farnam Street in Omaha and a coal yard at 1407 Webster, plus branches in Lincoln, Nebraska, and Atchison, Kansas.  An 1894 report stated, “This firm handles as much as fourteen thousand car loads annually.”  All of the coal came from mines in Colorado and Wyoming and reached Omaha via the UP, much of it coming north from southern Colorado, then northeast over the “Gulf’s” Julesburg Cutoff.  Its fleet of boxcars – from which G. B. H. & Co. 281is seen here, enlarged from the view opposite – was actually owned by and leased from the Union Pacific, and a large UP shield below the car number related that fact, while the characteristic white UP fascia of the cars provided further evidence.  The company lasted into the early 1900s, when the cars presumably were repainted and relettered for their owner. – Jos. Collier photo, Denver Public Library Western History collection No. C-188