Re: [CBQ] Re: Villisca Info?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Re: Villisca Info?
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 2018 12:55:10 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

I think that those and some of the engines used on those Villisca and Red Oak branches were actually assigned to St. Joe.  Don't get hung up on why any particular engine is at any particular time or  particular place..Those engines were just assigned and used where and when as needed.  Red Oak did have a 44 tonner that was use in the yard and on what was referred to as the "North Branch"..that was the line up to Griswold..I think..although I'm "dieing on that hill" that the 44 tonner was as heavy an engine as could run on that branch.  If you guys have ongoing questions about the operation of these line...get a copy of BRHS Bulletin No. 23..."Trains of the Gods and Goddesses" which featured one of my all time favorite stories titled  "OS CRESTON"  by Steve Holding..It discusses how the branches out of Creston, Villisca, Red Oak, and Hastings were operated...At that time there was a local that came out of Creston in the AM...with a Steam engine..Ran to Red Oak..went down to the engine house which was at the Lower Yard..got a 44 tonner and ran up to Griswold, came back got the Steam engine went back to Creston.  The south branch (to Shenandoah and Hamburg also had..at that time two round trips a day sometimes handled by...but not always by a 44 tonners.

Just remember there was great flexibility as to where and how these engines were used..You can't make a firm undeniable conclusion of something that is permanent just by seeing a particular engine at a particular spot at some specific time where you didn't think it "belonged"...

Pete