Re: [CBQ] What Train is This?

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] What Train is This?
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 09:20:24 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1511187627; bh=w4UtGJDAPRg+gBwFcKLyUP8wLcI2SZhLzeUEGcyj570=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=caSmgAPjiaW6wscPaDt2k+HOIvAZs2vCqmGSk4r/u2yCqt/GqagvJu/fIlfmoqB+uujPaIQmV4jxf2QZelbrKe8o3DA9L//n3HET6OfXN6x6ZHH6VFC1IKs+t41mXOIxCZ+qezAVrrhuwtP4vrClPX2jdJSz3sIFaHqBh3G1HbU=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Hol,

Been studying this photo since it was listed. Sure am wishing I'd had it for BB51.
Here are my thoughts on the most likely possibilities.
First note the shadows, its midday. This is most likely the eastbound dinky that returned
the loaded Aurora REA express house car to Chicago in early afternoon. The rpo is probably one the regulars operating between Aurora and Chgo.

The engineer is looking back for a sign, so based on all my first hand experience on the ground
And extensive reading of the union files I believe the Aurora switch engine is coupling this trains westbound To Aurora coaches onto the now eastbound train. Once the joint has been made,
Air and steam connected the air test will be made and train ready to depart.

The route schedules in BB51 for the postal service will provide more info. On the RPO. Basically
The RPO stayed between Chicago and Aurora and the mail,express,etc was shuttled to and from the
Motor car sections of the Rockford and Streator cars.

The motor cars stayed at Aurora for the most part. For awhile the Rockford car car was taken onto
A dinky for the round trip between Aurora and Chicago with the trains and engine crew staying
At Aurora except for the baggage an that worked through to the city. This resulted in many
Claims and correspondence as it was felt this "road" baggageman was taking work away from the
"dinky" baggagemen. This was a big issue because a hard fought agreement had been pounded
Out that all suburban work would be handled by suburban crews. The Rockford train baggageman
Was doing short work on the way into Chicago and the men felt this was a violation of the
Agreement. The practice didn't last too long as soon enough the Rockford car turned at
Aurora.

I'm on a working vacation in Florida so don't have access to my files.

Leo