Re: [CBQ] Steam Helper Service Article

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Steam Helper Service Article
From: "Jpslhedgpeth@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 2017 23:45:44 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Thanks Don..back in my Trainman and trainmaster days  5000 tons and 100 cars was a big train.

Speaking of old timers...When I started braking on the Q in 1956 there were lots of engine and trainmen with seniority back to the early 1900's.  Some of those guys just didn't want to quit.  And a good share of them..once they found out that you were not a complete KLUTZ and were really trying to do  good job things improved and then when they discovered that you knew something about the railroad, which I did, they would open up and the STORIES would come out..Some of which might have been true.  I
I loved working the branch line locals which Earl Currie in his writings referred to as "Retirement jobs" and they were where lots of the old heads would prefer.  They were, generally all daylight work...no train orders to worry about and low speed...some paid some good overtime as well.

My favorite conductor was Merle Caldwell who was age 48 in 1958.  He hired out in 1928 right out of high school and was  rules expert and just a genuinely nice guy.  He would ply me with "tales of the rails" as we rattled along through the weeds in the dark hours of the night.

Pete