[CBQ] Re: Passenger geeps on dinkies

To: "CBQ@yahoogroups.com" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [CBQ] Re: Passenger geeps on dinkies
From: "Clipperw B clipperw@gmail.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2017 23:13:12 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1499746395; bh=pw+Xgs9eZAUqvGl5vBA3XMw3vv4GTDnQMlXasD/SitI=; h=References:To:In-Reply-To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=1PHDrG8JfX8lFbpfWUz5dv34mUH7LsN6Zy+tqB6D6wyQSjDR2pByygjW8FZXdZUjTYMMhvLgxHPmfd64es+tOT6p2djTMBoe1n4Z2i1bCUmXcFSHViHSXnQJWZgCCFluciudlTKxH7qND+PVi9GT6EkskIU84Xj015CnP/q9X4c=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

Charlie,

Yes, I believe we have previously discussed the modification to E8s and E9s to improve acceleration. I think it was a form or maximum field start, later applied by EMD as an option on some switcher models for the same reason; to improve acceleration at start up. Whether EMD condoned the change at that time, I have no idea. I believe it increased the field current on the main generator before the throttle was moved out of idle. By doing so, the output of the generator was increased more quickly as the engine speed and locomotive acceleration increased. In normal operation, the governor would manage all load control at a slower rate. The net effect was that the load on the engine increased more rapidly, and that may have been EMD’s concern. However, with relatively light trains, the effect was minimal. If the Q’s Engineering Dept, developed it, it is my impression that EMD later adopted a similar arrangement.

On another subject, I have never heard that EMD attempted to sell GP7s to the Q for commuter service. It is my impression that in those days around the late 1940s and early 1950s, that relations between CB&Q and EMD management were relatively close. I am sure that EMD management was well aware of Q’s plan to use E units in both main line passenger service and commuter service to increase utilization. They also knew that EMD wouldn’t consider using GP7s on their main line passenger trains, so neither model would have reached their maximum usage potential.  I am sure that EMD didn’t really care whether Q bought E units or GP units, or both as, ultimately, they did. Q took delivery of their last E7 in March, 1949 and their first E8 in December, 1949. They received their first of 68 GP7s in September, 1951. EMD’s order board was quite full during that entire time, so they really weren’t driven by the need for additional business. I don’t know what the various models cost at the time, but I suspect that E units had a higher profit margin.

Bill Barber
Gravois Mills, MO