[CBQ] Road Crew to Chicago Union Stock Yards

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Road Crew to Chicago Union Stock Yards
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2017 19:51:23 -0500
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Here's the next edition of info. I'm pulling from the Aurora Division local
trainman's and Conductors files. I am only releasing items that, due to their
brevity, can't be to turned into articles for the BRHS publications. Rest
assured their are dozens of full length articles that can be gleaned from these
files as they go to the archives.

At an early point shortly after the opening of the Chicago Union Stockyards it
was agreed between mgmt.,the Aurora Div. road crews and the Chicago terminal
lodge ( I would suspect that entity didn't go along easily) that eastbound road
crews could operate to the stock yards to deliver cars destined there in their
train directly.
This saved the company from ordering an additional yard crew to make the trip.
Road crews were to deliver their cars, grab their waycar and go back to Morton
Park/Cicero and tie up. The road crew would receive final terminal delay time
for all time consumed after going by the Ridgeland Ave. at the entrance to the
Qs Cicero yards after 30 minutes or greater was used. Needless to say a trip to
the stock yards could take hours depending on traffic. This time consumed was
in addition to the miles run from Galesburg or Savanna.

I and most others, would assume these were live stock loads destined to the
slaughter houses. Interestingly in 1934 on three separate occasions, over the
summer, #82s crew from Savanna yarded their train at Morton Park/Cicero. Ran
around it, grabbed the waycar and loaded cars of meat. Then went to the ice
tracks where the cars were re-iced and subsequently proceeded to Chicago Union
Stock yards.

The crews filed claims for performing yard switching under the work
agreements(and I'm sure yard crews filed claim for road crews doing their
work). Mgmt. turned the claims down stating that the final terminal time
payments compensated them. After much letter writing,conferences,etc the claims
for yard switching in addition to final terminal delay were paid.

What I found most interesting was that loaded reefers of meat were going to the
stock yards. Since the cars were re-iced I guesstimate they were going to an
eastern road for further movement rather than delivery to one of the packing
houses.

Raises questions:
1) what particular meat was in these cars that couldn't have come from Chicago
to the east ?
2) why not interchange the cars at Congress  Park to expedite them ?

Leo Phillipp

Posted by: qutlx1@aol.com

    CBQ-digest@yahoogroups.com
    CBQ-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com