Re: [CBQ] Modified Q Switch Key

To: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [CBQ] Modified Q Switch Key
From: "qutlx1@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2017 18:18:42 -0500
Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=yahoogroups.com; s=echoe; t=1491952726; bh=BX/Qo1UMpXVraOkNiDU4XKFYk1nJ8t3DDFf1TtEJmiw=; h=References:In-Reply-To:To:From:List-Id:List-Unsubscribe:Date:Subject:Reply-To:From:Subject; b=Gak0MoPiPaCFC7EdoHrJ5Hm75i8FfCpxm9LbfPpgLOkoxPgHBHBZYhyicoCkWK7NzIiErkhT6c9KFH8XLpad9Qvjgak3JSBeAvJudSSGGcGYgGjUapJKRauhVB6PhtNxHG486B0yqDXEQVm8OSNPmGzsotgCudICzhMFn0H/5SQ=
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com

"Steal the unlock" was the term used to perform a function that violated all the operating rules and federal regulations. It was also very dangerous. It was done multiple times every day on some switch jobs.

If you were working a local switch job in CTC territory, all the manual main line switches had electronic locks on them to prevent operating a switch under or in front of a train bearing down on it. So if you're sitting on a side track waiting for a train to pass on the main, before "opening up" and occupying the main, you talk to the nearby operator or the dispatcher and ask when you can "open up". He will tell you after such and such train with engine number XXXX goes bye it is OK to open up and occupy the main.

Now if you wait until this train goes past, it will be 5 or 10 minutes before the "time runs down" and you can flip the unlock switch, which will then allow you to throw the actual
Switch.

But..... if you risk, life and limb to go up to the back of the locked unlock box, back off the lock mechanism, open a door and push a button, all the time while a train is bearing down on you. Keep in mind you are literally inches away from the train passing at high speed. Then when it is passed you can unlock the switch control on the front of the control box and then throw the switch immediately after the train passes.

If you happen to be on a job that uses the main(s) for its entire tour of duty, are working to the limit of the "hog law" each day, saving 5-10 minutes each time you "come out"
Really starts to add up.

I believe this maneuver is impossible to perform today because of new lock designs and soon because of PTC.

Leo Phillipp