[CBQ] Early Day Q Switch Engine [1 Attachment]

To: cbq@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [CBQ] Early Day Q Switch Engine [1 Attachment]
From: "LZadnichek@aol.com [CBQ]" <CBQ@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2017 16:36:24 -0400
Sender: CBQ@yahoogroups.com
[Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com included below]

March 31, 2017

Group - I recently came across this inserted/attached "builder's photograph" image of the Union, an early day 0-4-0 switch engine with four wheel tender that was built for the Q in March 1874 by the Manchester Locomotive Works, Manchester, NH:

Since there was nothing about this locomotive in the Corbin Book and other Q publications I have, I queried Group member Hol Wagener and he responded as follows:

- - - -

It's an interesting view, what with no name or number on the locomotive, just the name "Union."  But according to Manchester records the company built only seven 0-4-0s during 1874, all but two for the Q  The other two were Boston & Maine 10 "New Hampshire" (CN 670, October 1874) and New York, Providence & Boston 24 "Victor" (CN 683, November 1874).  All the 1874 0-4-0s had the same size cylinders and drivers.  Nowhere in the records do I find any mention of the "Union."  So it's something of a mystery.  Manchester CNs 631 and 632 were turned out in March 1874 as CB&Q 224-225, and Manchester CNs 675-677 were turned out in September (2) and October (1) 1874 as CB&Q 231-233.  All had 15x22 cylinders and 48" drivers.

When a locomotive was built for another road than the one to which it was ultimately delivered, Manchester records usually show that.  For example, the records show that construction numbers 655-656 were built in July 1874 for the Galveston, Harrisburg & San Antonio but were delivered as CB&Q 4-4-0s 226-227.  Perhaps the builder turned out one or two speculative 0-4-0s, intending to use them as shop switchers until a buyer was found, and the Q then bought it/them.  It would have been necessary to put some identifier on the locomotive -- either a number or a name -- and that may account for the "Union" name with no railroad name in the allotted space on the tender.  Since there appears to be snow on the ground in the photo, I'd guess it to be one of the two built in March and thus either Q 224 or 225.

The 224-225 were not the first Manchester 0-4-0s purchased by the Q, Manchester CNs 418-423 having been turned out in February 1872 as CB&Q 182-184 and 186-188, while CNs 426-427 followed in April 1872 as B&MR 64 "Samson" and 65 "Hercules."  These last two had the same 15x22 cylinders and 48" drivers as the 1874 engines, while the other six had 16x22 cylinders and 48" drivers.  The only previous 0-4-0s built by Manchester were two construction engines turned out for the Union Pacific in 1863. Feel free to edit and post to the CB&Q Yahoo Group.

Hol

- - - -

Since the Union/224 or 225 doesn't appear in the Corbin Book's record of the 1904 renumbering, it's almost certain this early day 0-4-0 had been retired prior to that date. The rear facing rod extending to beneath the cab powered a primitive force feed injector to supply water to the boiler when the locomotive was moving. For when the 0-4-0 was not moving, I'll speculate that there was at least one normal steam injector in the cab. For any Group member modeling early day Q steam power, this cute little 0-4-0 and its tender would make for an interesting project. Best Regards - Louis

Louis Zadnichek II  Fairhope, AL.

Attachment(s) from LZadnichek@aol.com | View attachments on the web

1 of 1 Photo(s)